Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mini goodness

I have not shared a recipe with you guys in a while, huh. Shame on me! Well, I have a couple to share starting today :)

I don't know about you, but I love mini anything. I'm usually satisfied after just a couple bites of something, so a mini is perfect for me. Yum.

With that being said, my recipe for today is...
Mini Caramel Apple Pies. Yes, so yummy.

I looked around Pinterest and didn't really find the right recipe for me, so I kinda made my own. But using the basic idea of an apple pie.

The ingredients you'll need are:
  • Granny Smith apples (I used 4 small ones)
  • caramel sauce of your choice. Mine is from Trader Joe's
  • Pie Crust. I was not brave enough to make mine from scratch this time, so I bought a box of mix. They also sell already made crusts near the biscuits and things at the store. 
  • Granulated sugar. I used just a few table spoons. I figured there was enough sugar in the caramel :)
  • Flour. I only used about 1/2 a teaspoon.
  • Butter. You'll need just a lil melted butter to brush the tops and some more to add to the filling.
  • Cinnamon. I eyeballed this. I added enough to make it look the way I wanted it.
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

 I started out by cutting up the apples. My mom said I should have started with the dough. Oops, next time.



Once the apples were all cut up, I added the caramel, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Yum.


While I was doing that, my mom was getting the dough ready. She used a mason jar to get the circles we wanted for the crust.
Once the dough and apples are ready it's time to start adding them to the pan! We used a normal cupcake pan and it worked perfectly. Just be sure to spray the pan with some kind of oil. Otherwise they will stick and be a nightmare to get out of the pan! Yikes.

So, we sprayed the pan. And started lining it with the crusts and added the filling.
 I put about a couple spoonfuls of the apple mix into each cup. Just enough to make them all even.

 Once  all the mix is in add a couple slivers of butter. And for a lil extra yummyness... I added some more caramel and cinnamon on top of the apples. Mmmm.

The pic above is our lattice practice. My sis is a smarty pants and suggested putting it together before adding it to the pies, much easier! Just need a spatula for the transfer.

 Ready for the oven! When we got all the tops on, I brushed each one with melted butter then added a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.

I popped them in the oven for about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them. The filling bubbled out a bit so you'll hear some sizzling!

Fresh out of the oven! They look crazy and messy but smell SO good. I let them cool in the pan. I baked them but didn't serve til later so I put them back in the oven for about 5 minutes to warm. When ready... to get them out... I cut around the edges and they pretty much popped right out!

Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness those sound so yummy and fairly easy. I'm a cooking novice so I always have to look for the easy stuff! Just found your blog and have loved getting to know you. You're adorable and I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie! Happy to have you here :) These lil pies are super easy and SUPER yummy! hope you give them a try! I'm still learning to cook also, so I try to stick with simple things too. Gotta build up some confidence :)

    ReplyDelete